A great start of the year for my Client! 2018 has many new opportunities looming on the horizon, with many new aspect to the existing business:
- New lines of business that could expand client services and breadth of delivery.
- Challenges with revenue sources, including growth, competitive threats, client needs, and focus.
- Personnel challenges requiring fine tuning, good incentives, and fair compensation.
- Exciting goals requiring informed capital decisions on facilities, working capital, and maintenance.
Whose business would not want to be up to the challenge of making the most informed and practical decisions? Certainly not this company. Over the past several months, amidst the daily grind, my Client found time to make a plan.
- Prepare a Budget: Check!
- Outline new lines of business, with details on who is served, which services are provided, and when sales would likely occur: Check!
- Assess the competition: Know who they are. Know their customers. Know their strengths and weaknesses. Leverage this company on its best qualities. Check!
- Reviews with people. Know what drives them to perform. Ask and understand what they like and perceive as incentive to work at their best, with good quality of life choices, and a satisfing payroll each payday. Check!
- Outline Goals for 2018. Determine capital needs in all areas, and plot out a long term strategy for achievement. Check!
A Perfect Strategy? Not necessarily. But the game plan for the year was well thought out, with time to spare, and a mindset of setting goals ahead of action, actively developing a PLAN (not just having plans), and being at the starting line when the starting gun sounded!
I would be remiss in not mentioning that my Client reached out a few months back, and started a conversation with Mile Marker Business and Consulting Services, LLC about being ready for 2018. It would be very easy to avoid planning, or to throw caution to the wind in favor of luck, which happens more often than most of us realize. But taking the proper steps to be ready in ANY effort put this company in a position to move forward on January 1, and to plan accordingly when things are happening.
What is holding you back from starting this year out right? Hopefully, nothing! Then again, have you taken the right steps to be at the starting line and ahead of your competition? If you aren’t there yet, perhaps a good place to stop, and make that strategy, is at the Mile Marker. Let’s start a conversation!
David Alexander, President
Mile Marker Business and Consulting Services, LLC